Colorful Costal Portugal Medieval Castles, Lisbon and Madeira Island
April 16 – 25, 2024
10 days / 9 nights
Trip Status: Sold Out
Single Occupancy – $7,550
Double Occupancy – $6,750
Dates: April 16 – 25, 2024
10 Days / 9 Nights
Airport: LIS – Humberto Delgado Airport
*Call Debra before booking flights (860)305-5597 You will be leaving the USA on April 15
Hotel da Baixa in Lisbon
Vile Gale Hotel in Porto
PortoBay Mare in Madeira
Meet your Host
I'm thinking about it
Let our team know that you are interested in joining us on this tour. Our team will reach out via email and will be available to chat about this trip.
Make a Reservation
Secure your reservation here. We only take 10-12 women on each trip. Making a reservation is the only way to secure your name to the trip list.
Don’t just tour Portugal, Experience Portugal
Every Beatrice Bradley trip is crafted to maximize the experiences had during the trip.
The itineraries are specially made to allow time for engaging in conversation and having belly laughs with a new friend. We hope that the activities and experiences may allow you to come out of your comfort zone and to try new or unique things.
These trips are made to replicate a ‘friends get-away trip’.
Day One: April 16, 2024 Lisbon – Arrival Day
Arrival day for many. (For those wo will arrive early, we will be sending out a link to the hotel with whom you should book your early arrival room. Also we can send a few articles about what there is to do in and around the downtown area so while we are waiting for the others to join us, there will be sites you can see on your own.) Once we have all arrived, we will have a meeting for a welcome drink at the Bar of our hotel around 6:30pm. Then we will head out for a great, fun dinner nearby. We have chosen a special spot that will give you “ A taste of Portugal” and will be fun for the group.
- Arrive LISBON, transport from airport to Hotel
- Welcome party- starts in hotel bar at 6:30pm
- Wonderful dinner down near the River, a great taste of Portugal
Day Two: April 17, 2024 – Exploring the Highlights of Lisbon, Castle of Sao Jorge and a Cooking Class
Meet for breakfast at 8am and then be ready to head out from our hotel at approx.9:15am with our local guide who will take us on a great trip around the beautiful Lisbon neighborhoods. We will see historic districts, the Castle of Sao Jorge from the 15th century, visit a district with old shops, cafes, and theaters. We will hear about the devastating earthquake and marvel at the rebuilding of Lisbon afterwards. Lunch will be eaten together at a café towards the end of our walking tour. Then you will have a few hours to shop, see the sites in downtown Lisbon before we pack up and head to the Lisbon Cooking School for a real treat. Learn how to make yummy Portuguese food and have fun tasting wine from various regions of Portugal.
- Walking tour of the Castle of Sao Jorge overlooking all of Lisbon-Visit historic neighborhoods, hear about the devastating earthquake which levelled Lisbon.-Cooking school interactive experience- learn how to make some Portugeuse dishes, taste wines from various regions and eat a wonderful dinner!
Day Three: April 18, 2024 – Fairytale Palace and Cabo Do Roca
Leaving Lisbon, visit the Pena Palace in Sintra and then onto Porto. Breakfast together and depart the hotel at 9AM. This is a busy day. We will head along a coastal route to see the beauty of the area as we head up to the magical town of Sintra. Once there we will tour the Pena Palace, a fairytale looking building that was the Summer home of the Portuguese Monarchy. The Castle is not like the opulent Versaille or other European castles but it does have elaborate tilework and ceramic applications for which the Portuguese are famous. After a walk through the palace and gardens, we will meet for a lunch in the charming town, and around 1:30pm we will depart on our way North to Porto. Late afternoon we will check into our hotel along the famous Douro River. We can take a couple of hours to freshen up. And then a Dinner at a lovely restaurant and a late night walk along the River if you wish. Porto is very safe.
- Visit the fairytale palace of Sintra, lovely lunch-Visit the Cabo do Roca ( western most point of the Europe continent)
- Ride up to Porto and check into the riverside hotel we have picked. Dinner in Porto
Day Four: April 19, 2024 – Famous Ponte Dom Luis Bridge and a Little Harry Potter
We have a lovely breakfast at 9:00am and plan to depart for our walking tour around Porto at 10:00am. Porto is a hilly city so wear comfortable shoes, it is also a very beautiful and dramatic city to see. You will not only see older buildings with the characteristic Portuguese tilework but also walk across the famous Ponte De Dom Luis bridge to get a vantage point that looks like a picture-perfect postcard.
Hilly and in some places steep, we will maneuver through the streets trying to avoid the steepest while we are being guided on a tour with our local guide. We will visit the Lello bookshop ( made famous by JKRowlings – Harry Potter’s author ) and the beautiful train station. e are staying at such picturesque area of Porto. Many people feel Porto is possibly the best smaller city in Europe!
Dinner again at a wonderful local restaurant.
- Walking tour of Porto, walk across the Douro River on Dom Luis Bridge more than 1,000 ft up. Fabulous views of the city
- Walking tour includes historic tiles in the old Railway station and the famous Lello bookstore made famous by JKRowlings’ (Harry Potter author) visits.
- Dinner at one of the wonderful Porto restaurants
Day Five: April 20, 2024 – Wines and a Foodie Dream Day
We meet for breakfast at 8 am and then depart the hotel about 9:15am for a day in the Douro Valley. This is one of the most scenic places in all of Portugal. The ride out into the area will have many chances for great photo ops. We will visit a very special organic vineyard, with wonderful owners, called A and D winery. The historic house on the hillside has beautiful tiles depicting the farming process and the owner, Dalina, will take us on a tour to suggest how they use flowers in between rows of grape vines to keep the organic practices and avoid chemicals needed for weeds and bugs. After our visit and wonderful wine tasting, we will travel a bit further up the Valley and have a late Lunch at Cozhina do Clara. This cliffside restaurant has fabulous food and this will be our “dinner for the day”. Once back at the hotel, we can have a snack later in the evening in our lovely courtyard.
- Touring the Douro valley – beyond scenic- a World Unesco site.-Visit an organic vineyard with excellent wines and a very charming setting with old farmhouse, historic tiles, etc.
- Lunch/Dinner in late afternoon at the wonderful cliffside Cozhina do Clara
Day Six: April 21, 2024 – Madeira Here We Come
Breakfast at 7:30am. You will have time to wander the area near the River which surrounds the hotel for last minute pictures. And you will need to be ready to depart for the Porto airport at 9:45am. Today at 12:30pm we will fly to the lovely isle of Madeira. This is a Portuguese territory with a rich history of great food, Port and Maderia wine and flowers everywhere. The town of Funchal and the surrounding areas rose up from the sea and having amazing mountains, scenic views from thousands of feet up, a truly unique and beautiful place. Once landed in Madeira, we will make our way to our botanic wonderland of a hotel, the PortoBay Mare. Here we will have an early dinner just minute’s walk from the hotel, a great Italian restaurant where we will sit al fresco and admire the lush grounds.
- Walk the River area of Porto before heading to the airport. Depart for Madeira.-Check into hotel in Madeira and explore the botanic wonder of our hotel, have a swim in the pool.-Early dinner around the corner from hotel at a lovely Italian restaurant- enjoy the breathtaking views on our walk back.
Day Seven and Eight: April 22 – 23, 2024 – Exploring the Funchal the Capital City of Madeira and WINE!
Breakfast @ 9am is overlooking the ocean and the pool area, just such a lovely way to start the day. We will meet our guide at 10am and have a wonderful walking tour of Funchal and see the fish and produce markets, along with historic buildings and a look at the once thriving embroidery and lace making factory. At the end of the tour we will stop at Blandy’s and take a short tour to see how Madeira wine is made. We will have a tasting before heading out to a perfect lunch in Old Town. After lunch, you will want to take a friend or two and walk the gardens around Old Town and maybe head to the port to watch a Cruise ship pull in. We meet back at the hotel, rest and regroup to head out for dinner.
Highlights and a little bit of FREE time!
- Meet our guide for a walking tour of Funchal the capital of Madeira. See Artwork, specialty markets and much more.-Madeira wine tasting, lunch in old town, shopping and exploring in afternoon
- Dinner out tonight with a special surprise
- Enjoy time by the pool, have a massage, or walk the area in the morning.-Cable car trip up the side of the mountain overlooking Funchal, visit the town of Monte and then onto the Botanic Garden, 3,000 feet up.
- Dinner in Old Funchal at a charming restaurant
Day Nine: April 24, 2024 – 4X4 Jeep Tour
Breakfast together at the hotel at 8:30am. At 10am our guides arrive for a fun day of exploration on the island in 4×4 jeeps. We will ride up to a point where you can see for 25 miles in every direction, drive through Eucalyptus forests and see Madeira from a unique perspective. On the drive we make a few stops including a famous hillside café known for a very special drink just for you.
Returning early afternoon so you can have some time to be poolside or walk along the wonderful water views of our hotel. Our farewell dinner will be very bittersweet but a fun time to cap off our wonderful trip
- 4X4 Tour to the highest peak for a view expanding for 25 miles.-Visit the famous hillside café known for making a specialty drink found only in Madeira. Great photo ops all day on this tour.- Return to hotel midafternoon to have some time in the sun, to buy your last souvenir, etc. Farewell dinner tonight.
Day Ten: April 25, 2024 – Departure Day
Departure day for all. It will be a very early ride to the airport(meet in lobby at 4am) so that we can catch the earliest flight back to Lisbon where we will then transfer to our flights home to the USA.
- Fly out from Madeira back to Lisbon airport-Catch your flight home to USA
Single OccupancyPrice is Per Person
- Your own room – private bathroom
- Deposit: $250 ($500 for International) due at time of booking
- Payment Plan Available
Double OccupancyPrice is Per Person
- No Roommate – No problem, we will pair you
- Deposit: $250 ($500 for International) due at time of booking
- Payment Plan Available
Flexible pay-as-you-go payment plan
How it Works:
|Step 1||Choose Payment Plan (available with credit card and ACH payment options)|
|Step 2||Your $250 Deposit ($500 for International) will be processed within 2 business days|
|Step 3||When you are ready to make a payment, click the “Review and Pay” button on your invoice|
|Step 4||Once clicked, in the top left of the invoice, next to the amount, you will see “Edit Amount.” Here you will be able to enter the amount you would like to pay|
|Step 5||Full amount needs to be paid by 60 days prior to the trip. *If there is a remaining balance at 60 days prior to the trip then an automatic payment for the remaining amount will be charged. (Balance due 90 days prior for International trips)|
Activity Level – High
This is an active trip with walking tours lasting a couple of hours. There will be walking on uneven roads and stairs. Getting in and out of transport cars and vans. Some places will not have an elevator.
It is your responsibly to fully read and understand the physical abilities that correlate to this Beatrice Bradley Experience. Difficulty level of activity is subject to individual interpretation, so it is extremely important that you read the itinerary and reach out if you have concerns or questions.
If you have questions about the specifics of the physical activity during this trip, please give us a call at 763-784-8291
Role of a Beatrice bradley hostess
Beatrice Bradley is an Experience Company not a Tour Company. The role of a Beatrice Bradley Host is to be warm and welcoming. To relate and connect. To have attention to details. And to manage the behind-the-scenes magic so your experience is one-of-a-kind. They are not local experts nor are they tour guides. We hire local experts, guides, and historians as each location warrants. They are expert hosts and manage the camaraderie and logistics of the experience. Our goal is that your hostess will make you feel welcomed, comfortable, and that you will walk away with new & lasting friendships made during an unforgettable experience.
Airport Pick Up is included when arriving at the designated airport within the specified pick up window.
Please call your host Debra before making airline reservation
Arrival Airport: LIS – Humberto Delgado Airport
Arrival Date: April 16, 2024 *Depart the USA on the 15th
Pick Up Times: Pick up times will vary
Departure Airport: LIS – Humberto Delgado Airport
Departure Date: April 25, 2024
Drop off Times: Drop off times will vary
As a solo-traveler, we need you to provide self-awareness and an understanding that you are fully responsible for yourself. This includes: your possessions, your physical abilities or fitness, your attitude, and all other aspects that relate to traveling solo in a group.
- Connect with our Members on our Private Facebook Group – Beatrice Bradley Member’s Only
- You must be able to manage your own luggage and all of your personal belongings on this trip
- This is not a handicap accessible able trip – you must be able to get in and out of a Large Passenger Transit Vehicle
- All Ground transportation is included on this trip
- Group Airport transfers are included in this trip.
- This trip will have have a maximum of 12 women
- This trip will have 1 Beatrice Bradley Hostesses
- If you need a roommate, we will happily pair you with another Beatrice Bradley traveler
- Travel insurance is not included. Beatrice Bradley is not a licensed travel insurance operator nor is our staff trained to in travel insurance. You can choose to purchase travel insurance through any licensed provider you choose. We will ask you upon booking if you would like us to send you some suggested licensed insurance companies.